Time has been marching along. Sorry I haven't posted, but I really haven't had much to say. This has always been an infertility blog for me, so posting pregnancy related news, or non-news, seems foreign.
Since I hit 20 weeks, I thought I would post an update for anyone who still follows along. I had thought about a 12 week, 14 week, 16 week and 18 week update, but I guess they just never happened.
Things have been relatively uneventful. When I wrote a few months ago, I had just completed a mild bleeding episode. And that was the last of the blood. For the most part, my toilet paper inspections have yielded nothing out of the ordinary.
In early October my kids came down with slapc.heek, also called Fif.th's Disease. It's a common virus among children where their cheeks look bright bright red and my kids also got rashes on their arms and legs. For those of you who have dogs, it's also parvovirus (I thought, "great, my kids caught a virus that I vaccinate my dog against!"). Anyway, apparently this virus is cause for concern if you're pregnant because it can impact something relating to blood with the baby, potentially requiring a blood transfusion to the fetus. Sounds scary, but didn't seem to be that big a deal because it's common to get when you're a kid and then you're immune. My first blood test indicated that I have never been exposed, so I had a follow up test a few weeks ago which also showed that I hadn't been exposed. Thank goodness. I believe my OB's words were, "I've never had a patient with this condition, and I don't want you to be the first." No kidding.
Running is still great. I usually run 3 1/2 to 4 miles a day, 5-7 days a week, and when I have more time or rest, I'll go 5 or 6, but it's not that often because I can get pretty tired later in the day. I don't know how long I will be able to keep this up for, so I will enjoy it while I can. All my pregnancies have been at different times of the year (December, August, and now April due dates), and I've never been visibly pregnant and running during the cold season, so I don't have any running pants. I've tried some yoga pants, but haven't found anything good. For now my normal running pants are very old and stretched out, so I can still wear them and not care if I ruin them, but my Nike capris (with nice wide waist bands) are getting rather tight. And I'm too cheap to go spend a bunch of money on something I may only wear for two months. Must find cheap yoga pants that can double as running pants while I can still run, or lounge/walking pants when I'm done. Please pass on any advice. :)
Lastly, I had my anatomy scan this morning. The baby was confirmed to be a girl, which is cool but scary (OMG, 3 girls!), but then again, I would be scared with a boy too (they're so squirty!). At my NT scan in September, the doctor got a good shot and predicted girl (70% certainty), so it wasn't a surprise, but it was nice to be confirmed.
The baby's head is measuring small - maybe by about a week, so still within the normal range - but I need to go back in a couple of weeks to make sure that she just has a small head and doesn't have any developmental issues. This pregnancy is keeping me on my toes. I am trying to locate my ultrasound reports from my other children to see where they measured, but I guess the best thing to do is just wait and see. The doctor didn't seem concerned, but just wanted to confirm.
Anyway, that's about it for now. I do want to write at some point about the commercialization of infertility clinics. One clinic has a lot of commercials on the news station that I list to, and I thought, "well, of course, they are a private clinic", but then one morning I turned on the TV to check on the status of a local transit strike and saw that my clinic (which is affiliated with the local university) was sponsoring the news ticker! I guess there's a lot of competition for patients, especially when insurance isn't involved, but it just surprised me since I always considered my time at the clinic to be very private, personal and confidential (not that advertising made any difference in the way they treat you).
Work is beckoning, so I will sign off. I hope all is well with everyone. I do still read, but don't comment as often. That's mostly due to the fact that I've had to increase my sleep!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Happy 20 weeks!!
ReplyDeleteGlad things are going well. I love the leggings at Walmart. They have sizes all the way up to 4x are cheap and comfy.
ReplyDeleteWoohoo for reaching 20 weeks! As for yoga pants, I know that Old Navy, Walmart and Target sell some for under $15 a pair. Maybe you could wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday to get some deals?
ReplyDeleteI come from a family of 3 girls (I"m the oldest) and while it was hectic growing up, it was fun. My next youngest sister and I are super close now as adults.
great to hear from you! glad you are doing well and hoep your kids are feeling all better too! congrats on a girl!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on 20 weeks!!! And a baby girl!!! :) :)
ReplyDeleteI so had the feeling you were having a girl! Glad things are going well and awesome job keeping up with your running. I would love to read the post about advertising. A few months ago I wrote about a local one whose ads are especially annoying..and guess what...that's where I had to go for my ER and transfer. My RE shares their space and embryology lab. Oh, the irony...
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear from you! I've missed your posts :) 20 weeks and you are still running that many miles? I am super impressed. I'm with you on not wanting to spend money on clothes you will only wear for such a short time. My maternity closet is at a bare minimum, even though it's much needed for me since I'm so big with twins! Sounds like a crazy virus that your kids got, but so glad you were able to stay clear from it. Good luck on your second half of pregnancy!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your baby girl!
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking about you all day. You're an angel. Thank you again. Please please keep me up to date on your little girl (probably) at least so we can meet her on this blog. Hugs to you! And BTW...you're a rockstar for running while pregnant.
ReplyDelete