Let me preface this post my saying that my relationship with my MIL has been rocky at best. While she is generally a nice person and we get along on most occasions, I consider her to be manipulative and controlling, often willing to do what it takes (i.e. guilt trips) to get what she wants.
So here we are this afternoon at Munchkin's 2nd birthday party. It was a small get together with just grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. All of a sudden, my MIL had a shit-eating grin on her face. My husband asked her what was up, and she wouldn't say anything. He asked her a couple more times and eventually she asked him if I was pregnant. Luckily, I didn't find out why she was smiling so much until after she left (otherwise she might have been thrown out of the house then and there), but it's so offensive to me on so many levels that she would act this way at her granddaughter's birthday.
Firstly, and I'm ashamed to admit that this is the one that offends me the most, she must have seen something that made her think I was pregnant. Now, I'll admit that my stomach is not pancake flat like it was three years ago before I got pregnant, and I know it can pop out a bit later in the day, but let me just tell you that at 123 pounds in size 4 jeans, I do NOT look pregnant.
Secondly, this was Munchkin's party. She was the person of honor. Even if I were pregnant, it is completely and utterly inappropriate to carry on this way at an event honoring a special day in someone else's life.
Finally, I really feel that it's no one's else's business to guess if I am or am not pregnant, especially not in pulbic. People ask, and I deal with their questions in private as I deem appropriate (unfortunately, my standard "she's not even 2 yet!" comeback will not be valid as of tomorrow), but it is not her place to act like a child and bring this up in front of the family.
Our families are aware that this is something that we keep to ourselves, and if anyone has a memory longer than two years, they will remember comments that I made during my pregnancy that it took us a LONG time to get pregnant. Would it, could it make sense that we're in the same situation (but worse) this time?!
Looks like I need to put on my running shoes and burn off some of this anger (and pregnant-looking belly).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


oh, that is not cool. Not cool one bit.
ReplyDelete:(
I always am sure to have some wine at functions like this, just to put people's thoughts to rest about "is she or isn't she??" (Not that a 2 year old birthday party is necessarily the place to get your drink on, but you know what I mean.)
Hang in there.
My MIL would act the exact same way. I feel your pain.
ReplyDeleteI love Opposite's idea of having wine. And perhaps some sushi and soft cheese for good measure. :) But I'm sorry that your MIL cast a cloud over the party for you!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that you had to deal with that. Some people just can't keep their mouth shut.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to Munchkin!