Friday, January 8, 2010

What to do with the leftovers?

Now that I've seen some evidence that this pregnancy is progressing, I'm allowing myself to start thinking about what to do with my leftover meds.  I have an unopened cartridge of Folli.stim, an unopened Ovi.drel syringe (because I didn't trigger last month), and a box of the Endo.metrin suppositories.

When I spoke with one of the nurses at my clinic, she told me that I could donate the Foll.istim and Ovi.drel for one of their injection classes, but that they cannot accept a donation of the meds to redistribute.  Understood.  I'm all for helping people learn to give themselves injections, but I've read enough blogs to know that there are a lot of people out there who are strapped to pay for their treatment and it would be really great to help someone out.

I asked my doctor about this at my appointment yesterday and she said that she can't take it back but that some people have gone on the internet to find someone to give their medication to.  My only concern is that I think it's illegal to give prescription medication to someone else and I'm not sure how much I want to advertise this.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone personally who is currently undergoing treatment, and the few posts I've seen about this on the local parents' group have received no responses.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this?

5 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm a first time visitor, jumped over from Sunny's blog. I decided to 'pay it forward' with my leftover meds. I donated them to a then 'online', now 'irl' friend who was struggling with infertility, we met through an ivf message board. We live about 2 hours apart so we just met halfway, I think overnight shipping would work as well. Its not legal but like you said its SO expensive and I'm all for helping others out.

    Congrats on your pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can go to free garage sale dot com and place an ad under the medical section. There is a lot out there for sale. Fedex COD is the best and safest way to ship.

    Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As soon as I'm sure, sure that this pg is going to last (or maybe after I get past the 20 wk u/s, because who can ever know for sure, right?) i'll be looking for something to do with my leftover fe.mara. It's crazy expensive if you don't have insurance. I don't know how I'll do it, yet. The message boards I frequent don't allow people to offer free meds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too have a lot of unopened meds left over. I was thinking about trying to donate them but now that we're trying the IVF thing, I might need them. but I'll be interested to hear how you handle this because I'm sure I'll have more stuff to give away in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really is a sticky situation. I have some leftover Follistim... but it's opened. I used it once, there's still plenty, but it's opened nevertheless.

    I am surprised to hear that your clinic uses actual Follistim and Ovidrel for their classes. Maybe this is normal, I've never taken a class (just had personal instruction) but I know one of my clinics used saline injections. Knowing that they use actual meds, maybe you still ARE helping people by donating it legally to the clinic? Because if the Follistim and Ovidrel are being used at the right time in their cycles, it's still saving them money, right? *shrugs*

    Good luck!

    PS I'm glad to hear that your first u/s went well and the pregnancy is progressing well!

    ReplyDelete