Sunday, October 14, 2012

I heart Friday night sticking parties....

Or Not.

The injections themselves haven't been bad.  The Follistim is like an old friend and doesn't hurt and I'm enjoying the reduced dose of Lupron, but I'm struggling a bit with the mechanics of the Menopur.  The pharmacist gave me these really skinny and long 1 ml syringes, so once I jab myself, I'm stuck (literally)!  My thumb is not long enough to reach the plunger and my other hand is busy still pinching my skin, so I'm not sure what to do.  The first night, I pushed the plunger in slowly from the side, and then last night, I made my skin pinching hand also hold the needle in place so my left hand could be freed up to inject the medication.  There must be a better way!  Do any of you who do your own injections have any other ideas?  I'll be going in for a follicle check on Tuesday and if I'm lucky, maybe the nurses will have a wider barrel syringe that I can use, but if not, I'll need to figure something out.

Thanks for the suggestions on exercise.  Biking and walking or hiking are still at the top of the list with some medicine ball work mixed in.  I had forgotten about rollerblading...it's been a while, but my dog and I do enjoy a good sprint together.  If I can fix the broken ankle strap (I got my skates in 1993!), I might try that.  It might be kind of fun in the dark mornings....

But for today my running is still going strong.  My dog and I had a great 9+ miler yesterday.  It was a route that we both really like but haven't done in a long time.  I felt fit, fast and light on my feet...what a bonus!  It was great.  It's so hard to believe that in two or three days I will start feeling uncomfortable and most likely unwilling to run.  I'm just glad that means that I am one step further in this process.

On that note, I time to lace up those shoes and head out the door.  I will update on Tuesday after my appointment.

3 comments:

  1. Glad that things are going well! I don't have any tips with the menopur....hubby does them for me. But, it sounds like you are making some good adjustments to make it work. Sending you many many good thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous that you're still running! I don't have any suggestions for the menopur, either, unfortunately. It wouldn't hurt to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had that problem with Menopure too. After a few attempts, I somehow managed to reach the plunger. I'm not exactly sure how, but I do have long fingers so I guess that must have helped. Maybe if you say "Go go Gadget fingers!" you can reach it. Or maybe your nurse will have a better solution. ;)

    ReplyDelete