I don't expect to close the chapter on this pregnancy until we start preparing for IVF #2, but I definitely turned a corner today with an unexpected morning.
I had to be at the clinic at 8, so that meant I would go alone and my husband would deal with the morning craziness. I was more than fine with that because I tend to be independent and prefer to do these sorts of things alone (more on that soon!), although he was supposed to come pick me up and drive me home.
I did all the normal check-in stuff, had a minor freak out when I saw that the activity restrictions included no "strenuous exercise" for 7 days, and was led into the procedure room to get ready. I spoke with the fellow who assists my RE and she assured me that I could exercise as long as I felt okay. Phew. We also talked about sedation, medication and we agreed that I would only get Toradol, which is like super-Motrin and then get the heavier stuff if I felt too much pain. This turned out to be a great decision, because when she did the ultrasound to see what was going on in my uterus, there was nothing there! Apparently, I passed the gestational sac on my own (I take back every bad word I said about the four doses of Misoprostol because apparently it did work!) and I didn't have to have the D&C! [Insert cheering here]
I have to say that this is the best case scenario that I could have imagined for today. I am so happy to have avoided the procedure. I left with no tears. I enjoyed the time with the nurses (aside from the three sticks required to get the IV in...I was just a bit dehydrated!). I did not have any pangs of sadness when I saw my empty uterus on the screen. It's just great. Of course, that's still just the surface, but today is a good day.
My RE did stop by to chat and we are in sync for next steps. The plan is to move forward with IVF #2 and to do a freeze-all cycle with PGD. We both have a feeling that I might be one of those people whose bodies are not receptive to embryos after being stimulated. I'm okay with that too because when I do get pregnant, I want to live as normally as possible, and maintaining my workout schedule (not possible with a fresh cycle) is very important to me. I did ask to leave the door open for a fresh transfer in case we end up with a chromosomally normal embryo that has questionable quality that might not make through a freeze/thaw cycle.
They took some extra blood to test HCG levels and I will go back for a follow up in three weeks. Things are looking up. I'm glad it's Friday. I think I need to find something fun for us to do!
---
Update: Just got the HCG results. It's down to 196. Looks like I'm well on my way back to normal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Wow, I'm glad that you were able to pass the sac without the physical pain a miscarriage can bring. How crazy that it happened without you even knowing? Sounds like you were able to have a good conversation with your RE about moving forward. Again, I am really sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteI am still so sorry that you've had to go through all of this but so happy for you that you did not have to have the D&C. Will be sending you lots and lots of thoughts as you move forward with the next cycle.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry for what you have been through. I am very glad you didn't need the d&c. Thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. We are getting ready for IVF attempt #2 with PGD so we might be cycle sisters. Are you using Natera for PGD by chance?
ReplyDeleteHello from ICLW. I'm so sorry for your loss, will be sending you healing thoughts. I'm glad at least that you were spared having to have the D&C.
ReplyDeleteI'm really sorry that you've had to go through all of this, but delighted that you did not have to go through with the D&C. Good luck on your 2nd IVF! I will keep my fingers crossed for a sticky baby. (here from ICLW)
ReplyDeleteI hope life returns to some kind of normal a little faster without the need for the d&c. I'm sure you felt relief after the ultrasound. Starting a new cycle was always therapeutic for me because it allowed me to move on in a physical way. Thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteThat's the best news in an otherwise shitty situation- so glad that you didn't need the D&C.
ReplyDelete