I had another blood draw this morning to check HCG levels. The lab is in the basement of the building when my clinic is. As I walked into the building, I thought about how many times I've been there over the past few years. It's been a LOT...even with the break that I had in 2010 and 2011. When I was doing injectables, I would visit somewhere around five times in a span of ten or eleven days and then I'd be back two weeks later for more fun and to start it all over again. Crazy!
What blows me away is how comfortable I am there now. I remember dreading my first appointment. It was August 28th, 2009. I'm not sure why I remember the date, but I guess it was important. I didn't want to be there, because to me it meant that I had to admit that there was a problem that we needed to deal with. I wasn't comfortable with ultrasounds. It was hard for me to adjust my work schedule to all these appointments and to not be noticed for coming in late. But there I was, a newbie infertile, kicked out by my OB who had been kind enough to treat me for a few months before she went on maternity leave.
Fast-forward 3 1/2 years to two weeks ago when I had my appointment with my OB and there was no heartbeat. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I barely asked her any questions (okay, so granted, I was shocked), but when I asked about next steps and she said that the clinic might have more options for me for handling the miscarriage, I knew that I wouldn't be knocking on her door any time soon. And so I slipped out the back exit so I wouldn't have to walk past her office.
In many ways this surprises me, because I have been seeing her for over six years. She was the person I first talked to when I was having trouble conceiving and she treated me with clomid for several cycles. She was the one who saw me through my pregnancies. I trust her. I even went to see her about 15 months ago just to make sure that from a medical standpoint, my idea of getting pregnant wasn't stupid. She has been a great resource...but when it came to my miscarriage (something I'm sure she sees more than I care to think about), I just wanted to get out of there back to the comforting nest of people who are constantly dealing with people who are struggling. I guess going to the same office for so many appointments builds a strong sense of comfort. And I must say that I am very happy to have a comfortable place to take my next steps in this journey.
My HCG came back at 18 so I need to go back in a week or two to make sure it drops back to zero, and then I have my WTF appointment on the 14th. I'm not too concerned about that meeting. I think we're on the same page for next steps, but I'm sure I'll come up with a few questions....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I'm glad you are able to feel so comfortable there. I hear from many that hate going back to their clinics. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteEchoing that it's great you feel so comfortable at your old OBs, some dread the visit siting in the waiting room with other pregnant women and baby related magazines. Following up with the blood pressure meds: My PCP wanted to put me on a diuretic, but that made me nervous as I already feel prone to dehydration and really need to hydrate before and after a run. I suggested Norvsac, as it has a relatively low side effect profile, but she notes it can give you ankle edema. No thanks, don't want cankles! I wanted to see how I would do on Labetalol and if I need to be on it during IUI treatments, I'll already be one something pregnancy safe. She was concerned about my heartrate which is usually in the 60s. I held taking my meds yesterday morning before my 10K, mostly as the meds can make me sleepy. I've got decent veins, so the nurse didn't have a problem placing my IV on the day of my procedure. So sorry that you are dealing with BP issues too!
ReplyDelete