Monday, October 29, 2012

Beta Blues

When will my beta be?  Argh.  It should technically be on Saturday, but because that's a weekend, it's scheduled for Monday.  But we'll be heading out on vacation on Saturday, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do! 
This timing issue has been on my mind since I got my IVF schedule in the middle of September.  I knew this would happen, but when I called the IVF nurse to see if we could tighten up the schedule just four or five days by starting BCPs on day 3 instead of day 5 for only 15 days instead of 18, it was like I had asked her to move a mountain.  I was told in no uncertain terms that there was absolutely no way we could adjust the schedule and I could take it as is or try some other time.  What great customer service.  And so much for all the talk from my RE about being able to adjust the cycle here and there if needed.

Sigh.  Obviously, it's not that big a deal, but I guess I need to have something to focus my energy on (other than "ooh, was that a cramp?" "do I feel any different", etc.) 

I have a hard copy requisition that I can take to a lab for my beta.  I checked the area and there are several in-network labs, so I think I will test with HPTs and if I get a positive by Monday, I'll get a blood test sometime next week.  And if the HPTs are negative?  Hmm, not sure.  Most likely, I won't test.  On my IUI cycles, I've had break-through bleeding while on Endometrin, so I generally stay away from the pregnancy tests unless specifically requested by the doctor.  I know...I've heard the stories of the women who had full on periods only to find out that they were pregnant.  But that's not me.  So if I start bleeding this weekend, I can be pretty certain of what's going on inside.  My RE suggested that I could just stay on the Endometrin while traveling and do the beta when I returned, but the thought of staying on these suppositories longer than necessary while traveling to a tropical destination does not sound appealing.  All I can think is "ewwwww!".

Hopefully this will all be a non-issue and that I will want to go get the test.  Fingers crossed.  It'll probably be early next week depending on what the rest of our schedule looks like. 

And the POAS schedule?  Hmm, that's unclear.  Perhaps Friday at 6DP6DT?  I want to see how things feel the next few days before I start thinking about when to test.  Tick tock.  For more reasons than one, I am looking forward to this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I am in the exact same situation as you. We are going to be half way across the country when it is BETA time at my parents for Thanksgiving break. I still have to call my insurance and see if any labs would be covered. It sounds like you have a good plan. I may have to just POAS and then if it is positive cave in and go and get my BETA. If not, just wait until we are back at home. Looking forward to hearing about your results and really really rooting for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bummer! It sounds like you have a good plan, though! Fingers crossed for you!!!

    ReplyDelete