Saturday, October 20, 2012

October ICLW

I just wanted to post a quick welcome message to anyone stopping by for October ICLW.

I am in the thick of my first and probably only IVF cycle (so I hope it works!).  My retrieval is tomorrow morning.  Wow.  Honestly, I never thought I'd be here.  Historically, I've been terrified of needles...and the mere thought of the "big needle" used for retrieval was the scariest of all.

But here I am.  For this cycle alone, I have given myself 36 shots.  And I am oddly calm about tomorrow. I guess reading the stories of other women going through the same process I am has been more comforting that I had expected.

So the quick recap on my cycle is this:  I did the long Lupron protocol and started stimming last Friday night.  I stimmed very well...so well, that I am risk for OHSS.  I expected this based on how my body responded in prior injectable IUI cycles that I've done.

Thank you to those of you who passed on your experience with OHSS.  I don't fully trust the nurses at my clinic (I seem to receive conflicting information), so it was good to match up your experiences with what I read on dr. google and what paperwork I received from my clinic.  It sounds like high protein and lots of electrolyte drinks are the way to go...and to keep a close eye if I get pregnant, because it could/will get worse.

Thanks for reading.  I'm off to the couch for a quiet evening in front of the tv.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with retrieval! It sounds like you are going to get a good number of eggs. I found mixing it up the drinks helps when trying to avoid OHSS, otherwise the thought of more Gatorade will make you feel sick. Last cycle I figured out that coconut water was a good source of electrolytes. My clinic also prescribes Dostinex which is supposed to help. Good luck! Just try to take it easy after retrieval.

    Visiting from ICLW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here from ICLW. Good luck with your retrieval! I am just starting out with an RE and have no idea if IVF is in our future, but I read so much about it from other women in the blogging world. It seems like a very physically and emotionally tough process, but it also seems to be highly successful. I wish you the best of luck and hopefully a happy and healthy pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete