Thursday, January 31, 2013

6w4d - A "hmm" day

I had my first ultrasound today.  The good news is that there is a healthy looking heartbeat (yay) and a baby that is measuring 6w1d.  My last pregnancy had the same measurements on the same day, so I was prepared for it to be a couple of days behind.

The "hmm" news is that there appears to be a second sac.  What?! This second sac is about half the size of the first one and appears to have a fetal pole, but nothing else.  My poor RE was confounded since we only transferred one embryo.  The sacs were not so close together for her to think that it was an identical twin, so the only other option was that it resulted from the egg that was released during my frozen cycle.  Apparently I didn't believe everything I read several years ago in the Taking Charge of your Fertility book.  We had intercourse the night before trigger (2 1/2+ days before ovulation), but made the decision to "trust the process" by abstaining the night after trigger.  Argh!  Seriously, cannot I not do the math to understand how long sperm can survive????  I felt so sheepish having to confess that we didn't take her advice.

So, here's the deal.  The hope is that the second sac stops/has stopped growing and just disappears and gets re-absorbed.  The risk is that it continues to grow or that the uterus tries to expel it, causing contractions, and endangering the good one.  There's really nothing to be done.  She said to come back in a week or two, either is fine, to see what happens.  I don't think there's anything that we can do other than watch and wait.

I'm in a bit of shock.  After all, I was so adamant about doing IVF so I could avoid twins, and then I went and did something to risk it.  Dumb dumb dumb.  I think/hope that it will all work out in the end, but there's a little bit of worrying going on over here.  Luckily, fatigue hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday and it's all I can do to get my work done, get a workout in, and help with the kids before I crash out.  There's not much energy left to worry too much.

I haven't made my appointment yet.  I can't decide whether I should just get back in there on Thursday or Friday, or if I should extend the "not knowing" and go in the following week.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I have heard of spontaneous pregnancies occurring after an IVF pregnancy in this community...but I think your "hmmm pregnancy" during an FET cycle is a first!

    I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as expelling the second sac. If you remember I had a second sac at my first couple ultrasounds (it might have been the source for a few spotting episodes but that was it).

    Hopefully your follow up ultrasound looks good and you go on to have a worry free pregnancy. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete