Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Health Updates

Wow, this past week has flown by.  It was a busy weekend with Easter and unfortunately, work has sucked up all my free time, including the small window of time in the evening when I usually blog.  Tonight my husband is out at a hockey game with some coworkers, and the house is mercifully quiet.  I'm taking a much needed break from work and I am trying to catch up on my reading and commenting.

BP update
I went to my PCP last Thursday for a blood pressure check, and as expected, I had to increase my medication.  She didn't seem concerned at all and re-iterated that lowering my sodium intake would have minimal impact.  I think I'll still try a little bit.  She also confirmed that I should take the medication prior to any medical procedures such as a retrieval.  That was really helpful information because I skipped it for both the retrieval and the D&C (following the "no food or drink after midnight" instructions) and my readings both times were high enough that the nurses were raising their eyebrows.  I certainly don't want to have anything cancelled due to high blood pressure!  Delays or cancellations are not welcome!

Food Diary update
I completed four days of my food diary, and then I just couldn't take it anymore!  I did review the information and found it interesting to note the sodium content and calories consumed.  I was taking in about 2000-2100 calories a day and this is probably less than my normal consumption.  The only thing is that it wasn't a true representation or my regular diet.  I opted not to eat some food simply because it would have been too much of a pain to log it.  My sodium consumption was around 2700mg, which I thought was interesting...interesting that it was so high since I was still finishing up the leftover low sodium soup.  I actually bought some sodium free bread last week, just to see what it's all about.  It's not very good, but I'll finish off the loaf and then maybe try some low sodium bread as an alternative.  I know that it probably won't help with the blood pressure, but at least it's healthier.

Running update
A few weeks ago I wrote about how I needed a goal, and I wanted a running goal, so I picked one of my favorite hills to do test sets on.  I ran it one day and went hard up the hills and got a decent time.  I then ran the same route the following week, but prepped myself on the way there with a better warm up and accelerations.  I beat the time from the previous week by 33 seconds, which beat the goal that I had set for myself.  Oops.  While it's great, I was hoping to have to work harder for this. 

For the past two weeks I've stayed away from that trail and have done other hilly runs, including hill repeats (ouch!).  I plan to do another timed run in a week and a half.  I'll be interested to see how it goes. 

-----------
My goodness.  Looking at the format of this post makes me realize that I am still in work mode!  I have little sections with bolded titles.  Sigh....I hope I can take a real break soon.

3 comments:

  1. Hopefully your mind can shut down from work mode over the weekend! I enjoy reading about your running. I am not a very good runner, especially in the past two years. I keep getting plagued by injuries so haven't been able to get into it and have been stuck having to do run/walk intervals. I admire you for being able to go out and do hill repeats! Have you ever tried Dave's Killer Bread? I haven't looked at the sodium content, but it's pretty good bread and a healthy option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope everything shakes into a perfect shape with the bp by the time you get to the IVF procedures. I am so excited for your countdown until stims. The BCPs are almost done!!!

    ReplyDelete