Monday, August 20, 2012

One more reason

I don't exactly love my job.  There have been a lot of changes in the past few years and I'm not thrilled with where things are going.  I would really like to find a new job, but there are a few things holding me back.

At the top of the list are the benefits.  The company I work for is a good company and has very good benefits, including rock star coverage for infertility treatment and meds.  I know that I need to stay until I either reach the coverage limits or until I no longer need the coverage (fingers crossed that it's the latter).  And in the meantime, I hope that I can influence some change in our group....

The other reasons that I feel like I need to stay are related to maternity leave and a general discomfort with getting pregnant and having a new job.  I think that allowed maternity leave (and possibly your disability coverage) is less for people who have been at the company for less than a year.  Plus, I just don't feel good about getting a job when I hope to be going out on leave for 4+ months starting next spring.  (Feel free to play along with my feigned confidence that I will be getting pregnant soon....)

I don't want to be stuck here forever.  I've had some other "handcuffs" that have kept me here through this summer, and I know that I need to stay one more year to take advantage of the insurance and maternity leave benefits.  But I think it makes sense to do what I need to do to give myself the best chance possible to get pregnant asap so that in another year or so, I can decide to stay or go based on the job, not on the benefits.

I wonder when I would need to call the clinic if I wanted to proceed with an IVF cycle next month?


1 comment:

  1. Hello from ICLW! This post really resonated. I wish that the US would move to a system where both leave and healthcare weren't tied to employment! Best of luck moving forward!

    ReplyDelete