Thanks for all your thoughtful comments as I make my way through this roller coaster
A few of you asked some questions and although they were probably rhetorical, I think I'll still answer them anyway. :)
What did my doctor recommend?
While I haven't specifically asked that question, she's always said that my situation is "very hopeful" and has thought that I could have gotten pregnant on my first two cycles. I have asked her a few times what choices other patients make, and she says that some like to go to IVF right away because they don't want to wait and want to increase their odds of getting pregnant now.
She has hinted that IVF would provide us more control since with the IUI, you just don't know what is failing in the process. My body is extremely sensitive to the Follistim so I think she would prefer IVF so she wouldn't have to be so careful about developing too many follicles while stimming.
She also knows that a multiple pregnancy would not be good for me. I developed pregnancy induced hypertension with both my pregnancies, so I would worry about having twins. IVF with single embryo transfer would be a good way to limit that possibility to whatever chance there is of having identical twins.
With all that being said, I think she thinks I can get pregnant without IVF. As she puts it, "it's a matter of the right sperm meeting the right egg". So it really comes down to what's most important to me and what I'm willing to do.
What would I regret more: having two failed Clomid cycles and having to wait until 2013 to do IVF or jumping into IVF and having a BFN and then going back to Clomid and getting a BFP? Would I regret the money spent on IVF?
I'm extremely lucky that my insurance will cover the IVF, so I have been able to keep the money aspect of this decision out of the picture. If I had to pay for this out of pocket, I honestly don't know what I would do. I can't even imagine having to add that to the equation!
The part of Clomid that is so appealing to me is that I can almost pretend that I got pregnant normally, but with IVF, I will invest to much time plus physical and emotional energy, a BFN would mean so much more than a Clomid BFN.
So what would I regret more? Hmm, still working on that.
Does my clinic require a Clomid challenge test as part of the protocol?
No, it sounds like they will let me jump right into BCPs when AF arrives in a few weeks.
So if I go for it, it means is that I would basically have one chance to get pregnant from August through the end of the year. Talk about pressure.
So...how am I feeling now? A bit frustrated with myself for not thinking this through before and anticipating the cancelled cycle. If I had been ready to make the jump as soon as we found the cyst, I bet I could have saved a month and started BCPs right away. As it stands now, I am benched this cycle and then would be on BCPs next month. Bummer. I know I can't dwell on what's already happened. I expect that I will call the nurse back to discuss some potential dates.
Does anyone know...if an IVF fails, how quickly can you turn around and do an FET? I'm just wondering if I went for it and was lucky enough to have some embryos to freeze, would I be able to squeeze an FET in before the lab closes for the holidays?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I started our FET right after our IVF failed. I went back on BCPs with that period. The actual time was about 6 weeks from AF to transfer. Thinking of you during This time with all the decisions you are making!!
ReplyDeleteI'm just getting ready for IVF, so I haven't had any experience with a FET cycle, but my understanding is that they can be done back to back.
ReplyDeleteThe decision-making process is so difficult! I feel like I should have thought things through more and probably could have done a few IUI/injectable cycles while waiting to schedule IVF (I had some scheduling issues that made IVF impossible, but I could have done an IUI), but I didn't think of it until it was too late. Good luck with your decision!
My situation was the same as Aspgirswold, as in I jumped straight into the FET after the IVF resulted in a BFN. I think the doctor's only concern with starting right away is how well you respond to the meds and if you develop OHSS. Just make sure to schedule your "WTF" appointment with your RE as soon as you know IVF failed so you can get started on the FET with the start of your period. Or make sure to have this plan in place before the IVF itself.
ReplyDeleteYou can usually do a FET quickly (depending on your clinic schedule), my one caution- not to be a debby downer, but many women do not have excess embryos to freeze. Just wanted to let you know that's a possibility, I had hoped for more. If clomid had been an option for me I would have been tempted to try that first, but you do have much more control with IVF which sounds preferable in your situation, I did have pre-e with my twins. It's a tough decision. *hugs*
ReplyDelete