Friday, January 25, 2013

Reality check

When you've worked so hard to get pregnant, and follow the stories of many other women who have worked harder, it's sometimes hard to keep the doubts from creeping in.

Other than the normal miscarriage statistics, I don't have any particular reason why I shouldn't see that heartbeat flicker when I go to my ultrasound appointment next week.  Yet I've found myself wondering a few times this week whether everything is okay.  Do I have pregnancy symptoms?  My A-cup bras are still too big..shouldn't those boobs be bigger by now?  Should running really feel this good?  I thought my boobs would be more sore by now? And on.  And on.  And on.  

One thing I've always wondered is whether there is something more fragile about an IVF pregnancy vs. a natural pregnancy?  And what about fresh cycle vs. FET?  Other than taking special care not to harm the enlarged ovaries during a fresh cycle, do you need to be more careful of anything?  When I asked my doctor about any restrictions after the transfer, she advised me just to make sure that I tailored my activities so that if the embryo didn't implant, I wouldn't wonder whether I had done anything that could be the cause.  I decided to take 5 days off exercise, starting with the day after transfer.  Since then, though, I've gone back to my normal running schedule and am running 35+ miles per week.  Excessive?  I hope not.  I don't think so.  It's comfortable for me.  I exercised much more during my first pregnancy and it was fine, but there's still that question of whether I should consider this one different from that one (Clomid cycle, natural pregnancy vs. Clomid cycle FET).  Is the embryo less tough because I did PGD?  So many questions without any answers.

I really don't think there's an answer.  I'll just try to continue the "one day at a time" mantra and try not to worry.  At this point, I just need to eat healthy, get enough rest, and not stress.


2 comments:

  1. I don't think there really is an answer to these questions either, but they will plague you over and over. I have read that IVF pregnancies have higher m/c rates simply due to factors specific to infertility, factors that we don't have any control over anyway. You are right, take one day at a time, do what you feel comfortable doing and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there's an answer, either, and it's hard to find the line (for me, anyway) between actual risk and paranoia. I didn't get the ok to go back to running until I was 8 weeks, and by then I was too sick to go for a walk, much less a run. I feel like I have the energy to go for a run now, but since I haven't run in four months, I feel like I missed the boat. You should do what makes you most comfortable, and I agree - taking it one day at a time is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete